Sample Lesson Plan – Basic Readers’ Theatre
Objective: Students will read and demonstrate understanding of a short play or excerpt from a play. Then, they will read it orally to an
Materials: Short play or play excerpt
- Select a high-interest play or excerpt from a play.
- Have students read it silently, then orally.
- To determine understanding, have students identify main ideas and supporting details, retell sequence of events, identify setting,
describe main characters and their motivations, and discuss theme. Also, have them analyze the play for other concepts it presents; real vs. imaginary, figurative language, humor, absurdity, etc. All this can be
done orally, in writing or a combination of both.
- Assign character parts to students.
- Have students sit in chairs in the front of the room.
- Read through the selection orally, then “rehearse” at least two more times.
- Present play to another class.
- After the play, have the audience summarize what they have seen, identifying main ideas and supporting details. Have them describe the
setting, plot and characters. Also, have them discuss any additional play concepts (see 3. above).
- Have the audience and actors participate in a question and answer discussion about the presentation.
(Back to Readers’ Theatre main page)